Monday, February 14, 2005

The Day Of St Valentine

It's Valentine's Day!

The day to celebrate love. At least that's what the advertisers out there say. In my opinion, and I know it sounds clichéd but, love should be celebrated everyday. Why wait until the 14th of February to let your special know how much you appreciate her/him? For me, I think the song by Ronan Keating sums up how we should be treating the special people in our loves.


If tomorrow never comes
Will she know how much I loved her
Did I try in every way to show her every day
That she's my only one
And if my time on earth were through
And she must face this world without me
Is the love I gave her in the past
Gonna be enough to last
If tomorrow never comes



If tomorrow never came, would the person you love know how much you loved her/him? Or will you be left regretting that you didn't die on February the 15th instead?

Anyway, how was my Valentine's Day? Well, I didn't go out with my super lovable girlfriend. I spent the afternoon doing my Inventory Management project and then I went home. I know it's Valentine's Day but when I wanted to meet my girlfriend today she said that she was going out with her friends and we could always go another day. My girlfriend's the practical kind of person, so Valentine's Day isn't that important to her. She also told me not to buy her flowers because she said it was a waste of money. Better to spend it on her in other ways. And she way she said it, I could tell it was the I don't want-and I really don't want meaning, rather than the I don't want-but I secretly want double meaning.

Well, since I can't blog about my Valentine's Day, I guess I'll just post up how Valentine's Day supposedly began, courtesy of Finicky Feline.


One legend contends that Valentine was a priest who served during the third century in Rome. When Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families, he outlawed marriage for young men -- his crop of potential soldiers. Valentine, realizing the injustice of the decree, defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers in secret. When Valentine's actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death.

According to one legend, Valentine actually sent the first 'valentine' greeting himself. While in prison, it is believed that Valentine fell in love with a young girl -- who may have been his jailor's daughter -- who visited him during his confinement. Before his death, it is alleged that he wrote her a letter, which he signed 'From your Valentine,' an expression that is still in use today. Although the truth behind the Valentine legends is murky, the stories certainly emphasize his appeal as a sympathetic, heroic, and, most importantly, romantic figure. It's no surprise that by the Middle Ages, Valentine was one of the most popular saints in England and France.



Hope you had a Happy Valentine's Day!

5 Comments:

Blogger Zen|th said...

SariPartyGirl: Hmm.. I didn't know that. I always thought that girls always loved carrying flowers around.

Knight: All I know is that Ronan Keating has been doing a lot of covers nowadays. I've heard the original one recently and it's better than Ronan Keating's version.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Jayaxe said...

Actually, I beg to differ. Okay, the Valentine's Day may be too commercialized and you're actually right that love should not be just emphasized on that particular day.

However, I would say it's the most appropriate day to convey the message that you want to woo someone. Yeah, so V-Day should be meant for singles and not couples! Haha.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Zen|th said...

Jayaxe: Yeah.. I always thought that Valentine's Day is the best day to confess your love to someone when you're trying to court them.

I've heard of a few cases of guys doing that and in 90% of them, the girl agreed. Haha.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Merv said...

if Valentine's Day is a a celebration of love, why am i the one paying, and she(my gf) is the one celebrating...

arrgh. nevermind.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Zen|th said...

Merv: Well, I guess that's the way it works and there's nothing we can do about it. Haha. =(

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home