Sunday, June 26, 2005

3 Degress Above 37

Yesterday I finally worked at my banquet job for the first time. It was a wedding dinner, Chinese style. I thought that it would be an easy job, but I had no idea what I was in for.

For the first time in my entire life, I stood for 6 hours straight and had the most excruciating pain in my lower back I'll ever have. And after the function when we started to clear the chairs, I was literally about to faint. Looking back, it was most likely because I didn't eat anything before work and I hardly drank any water that day.

It was a good experience I must say, learning how to portion the food and carry the big trays. I still suck at it though. I too so long to portion the food that my other team member had to come and help me. It was embarrassing, but well, sometimes you've got to learn the hard way.

When I got home though, I felt sick. And when I woke this morning, I could tell that I was down with flu. My throat was sore and I had both a terrible headache and a fever. I immediately took some Panadol once I was able to move.

After taking some Panadol, I contemplated going to play a football match for this church team that was in an inter-church league. I thought since it was the last game and I feeling slightly better, I'd go because we really needed to win today to qualify for the quarter finals.

We eventually won 4-1, but I was really pissed because at half-time the captain told me he'll substitute me with himself after 10 minutes, but when 10 minutes had passed, I was still standing at the touchline waiting to go in. 15 minutes went by, still nothing was happening. Then after 20 minutes he finally scored a goal (he was playing striker and I was to replace him in that position) and then I was substituted in after another 5 minutes.

Now I would gladly do anything that would help the team win, because that's what being a team player means, but what I don't like is that I was promised one thing, but it was never fulfilled. Besides, his continuing to play on didn't have anything to do with tactics at all. It wasn't like he was leading the attack or anything like that. I felt that he was playing longer just because he wanted to score a goal first. So you could see that why I got pissed because I was set aside not for tactical or team reasons but for a personal reason.

Anyway, moving on, I went home after the game because I felt my flu coming back. And boy did it come back hard. After I got home, I started to have a 40 degree fever. As I lay in bed trying to watch Gundam Seed Destiny, my eyes started to hurt and it was as if there was some little creature inside pounding the walls of my head. It got so bad that I went to get take another dose of Panadol and a wet towel to put on my forehead.

To tell the truth, I was a bit worried about getting some brain damage because back in primary 6, the guy seating beside me suddenly had a 40 degree fever and after that he never came back to school. The last thing I heard about him was that he had suffered some brain damage due to the high fever and became slightly retarded. It was really sad thing because he was a really good student. I used to ask if I could copy his homework all the time and he was kind enough to let me.

So that's how my day has gone up till now. It's funny because I usually don't describe how my days go with such detail, but as I sit in bed with my laptop typing this, that's what I started to do.

Well, at least I'm blogging coherently which means my brain is still working fine. And I'm getting hungry which means my stomach is working perfectly also.

I tagged by Lyn to do answer this question.

So, what is the one spark in the midst of darkness? What is the one thing that made you smile today?

For me, it's simple. After being sick and in pain the whole day, it was when my super lovable girlfriend told me just before she went to bed to, "Take care and rest well". Those few words from her were enough to make my day. =)

I'm not going to be passing this tag to anyone because I can't think of anyone to pass it too. But if you feel like doing it, then you're more than welcome to.

Alright. Time to get some rest now. Later.


Anonymous Raymond said...

Didn't know got such thing as inter-church soccer league somemore.

Anyway, I worked as a banquet waiter before also. Chinese style. And worse of all, I was the kitchen boy, meaning I was the one collecting ALL the heavy plates and trays and carriny back to the kitchen. To and fro, for like 4 freaking hours. It was my first and last time working as one.

2:53 AM  
Blogger lyn said...

sick and still can play soccer? you guys ar.. tssk.

lol ok i'll leave the nagging to maybe your mom or something.

tags! =D

10:04 AM  
Blogger becca said...

Haha, spoilt child la u, can tell the pain from standing for 6 hrs.

Envy ya can play soccer... Like I really wana learn it, but no chances yeah. Hope you get well soon, drink lotsa fluids!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Ang Ku Kueh said...

haiyah! sick already still play ball! must be the combi of long work hours and hard exercise! rest well, man! speedy recovery! :)

6:09 PM  
Blogger stoned.nerd said...

"Take care and rest well"

though im sure it is nothing like what your missus told you. :)

anyway, have lotsa honeyed water - it heals the throat.

plus watch some porn - it brings the fever down.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Zen|th said...

Raymond: I didn't know there was an inter church league too.

Lyn: Nothing can keep a guy from his football. Haha.

Becca: Yeah.. I guess I'm a bit spoilt. =P

Ang Ku Kueh: I think it was just the banquet job that really killed me. I didn't eat or drink enough at that time.

Stoned Nerd: Honeyed Water.. I'll try that. Thanks. :)

11:15 PM  
Blogger Claris said...

which hotel is tt? reminds me of my old banquet days, where i can roll off a 12 pax table. -.-

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home