Friday, June 17, 2005

Sushi Service

Yesterday my super lovable girlfriend, her brother and I went to Sakae Sushi for our monthly sushi buffet. I don't remember when we started going every month, but the first time my super lovable girlfriend and I went, we enjoyed eating the sushi so much that we decided to have the buffet again next time. And so that's probably how we got started.

Anyway, the place we usually would go would be the Sakae Sushi at Junction 8 but this time we decided to go the one at Wheelock Place. We only went to Wheelock once before and during that time the computer for making orders at our table was spoilt.

This time when we got there the place was filled and the manager informed us that only the counter seats were left. We could either wait until one of those cubicle seats became available or choose to take the counter seats. We asked him if we could sit at the counter seats and then move to the cubicle seats when it became available. He said sure thing and so we sat on the counter seats side by side. However, I had a feeling that he would forget and I was right. Around 15 minutes later, a couple arrived and they were immediately ushered inside.

I was really irritated because the manager gave us his word but he didn't keep it. Alright, perhaps he forgot, but since when has forgetfulness been an acceptable excuse for slipping up at work? I actually reminded another waiter that his manager said we could switch seats when they became available and he said that would tell us when the seats became available, but he never came back.

Then later on when we made an order, it was only after 25 minutes and reminding a waitress of it, that the order finally came. I understand that the place was fully occupied that day, but come on, 25 minutes in the FNB industry is just too long. If anything, it just shows that the restaurant is inefficient and unable to cope when there's a full house.

But the part that ticked me off the most was towards the end when we all were just sitting there and having a conversation and the same irritating manager comes back. I was holding my drink which was half filled and this is what he says.


"Hi sir, the sushi buffet is now over. Kindly please pay at the counter."

"Okay."

Then he took the order slip from the back of my seat.

"Sir, your orders have been 3 student buffets and 2 orders of drinks. Kindly please pay at the counter."

I immediately replied, "Alright, but can I finish my drink first?" and pointed to the cup I was holding.

"Ok." Then he went off.



Bloody hell. I don't care what reputation your restaurant has or how good the food is, but if you start chasing out customers like that, your restaurant sucks big time. First of all, by that that time there was already plenty of seats around for other customers so there wasn't any need for seats. Secondly, when I looked at the counter, there were about 8 people in line. I wasn't about to throw away my drink which I had paid for and wait in line for probably another 25 minutes knowing how inefficiently the place was run. Lastly, I wasn't even finished and already was being asked to pay.

I really wonder how he became a manager with such poor customer service skills and a low level of intelligence. He reminds me a lot of Fat Fingers' boss. Haha. With people like these, no wonder everybody says that Singapore's level of customer service cannot make it. Initially, I didn't believe that because I received good customer service before, from nice people like the cute girl at Starbucks, KFC and Golden Village.

But after this experience, I believe now that Singapore's customer service really cannot make it.

Well, maybe until the next time I visit Starbucks.

10 Comments:

Blogger stoned.nerd said...

i hadnt been served in other countries proper, so i cant make an objective judgement...

but yeah, the service in some places here sucks big time alright.

2:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The wheelock place service is lousy. Period. I've been there too. And im done with it.

2:26 AM  
Blogger Ang Ku Kueh said...

aiyo...that sounds terrible. I've been there before and they did make us wait, but not that bloody long...i bet you'll go back to junction 8 after this ordeal. :)

9:38 AM  
Blogger Jayaxe said...

Yes, I have to second that Starbucks provides absolutely good service. They even present you with a free, clean mug upon request when you finished a hot cuppa from them.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Zen|th said...

Stoned.nerd: I agree. But generally the service here is bad.

One Little Twit: I wonder why people still go there then. When I passed by later again, there was a queue.

Ang Ku Kueh: You bet I'll stick to Junction 8 next time.

Ningx: Glad to be blogging again. :)

Mr Moron: That's why you never hear anybody complaining about Starbuck's service.

Jayaxe: And to add to that, their coffee is good too.

Dead poet: I haven't really tried Genki Sushi but at least for Sakae, their sushi quality is quite good.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Claris said...

wah the svc sucks big time man

10:23 PM  
Blogger beautifuk_ said...

hey and somebody told me I MUST go to the wheelock branch because it's so much better than the neighbourhood ones! guess it's no better when it comes to sakae.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Sheena said...

should try the sakae sushi at sentosa lah! my friend the assistant manager will provide us tip top service man!!

2:37 AM  
Blogger Zen|th said...

Claris: Yes, it does suck big time. Haha.

beautifuk: Perhaps my bad experience was an isolated one. But some of the neighbourhood ones are good.

Miryclay: Sentosa very far leh. :P

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the manager vietnamese? hahahaha
i should stop generalising hehe.

try genki sushi. i think their service is good. but no buffet though :(

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home