Monday, May 23, 2005

Anakin's Choice

I went to watch Star Wars III: Revenge of The Sith on Saturday.

One of the things I don't like here in the US compared to Singapore is that the seats in the Cinema are free seating. Meaning that if you want to get good seats, you have to go in early, which is not good for me because I usually enter the cinema 10 minutes after the scheduled time just to avoid all the trailers and commercials.

So we managed to get good seats after entering the cinema 15 minutes before the scheduled time and I couldn't believe it when the whole commercial + trailers lasted 45 minutes. The cinema was probably trying to maximise their profits since they were screening Star Wars III every 30 minutes for the whole day.

But one good thing about the cinemas here is that the popcorn and drinks, although costing around USD$12, are totally refillable. So if you're with a group of friends, all you have to do is buy 1 large combo and share it among yourselves. And since the tubs of popcorn they give are huge, the most you have to go for a refill during the movie is once. And you can add as much butter as you want too.

Anyway, after waiting for 45 minutes and enjoying my special combination of popcorn and nacho cheese dip (you have to make a request for this, which is what I always do in Singapore), the movie finally started. Everyone started clapping when the words Star Wars appeared and the music started playing. I clapped along too, just for the fun of it.

Overall, I thought the movie was alright. It wasn't all that bad and it wasn't that good because I felt that they were trying to cram everything into movie and it was all moving too fast. That's why many people commented that it seemed like Anakin turned to the Dark Side too easily. On the other hand, I thought the effects on this Star Wars was the best (as expected) and the coolest part was when Yoda started to fight. One guy started whistling when Yoda jumped up and cut the heads off the stormtroopers. But I thought that the movie had one theme that I really liked. (Spoiler Warning)





If you look at it closely, the major reason that Anakin turned to the Dark Side was because he wanted to save Padme, the person he loved the most. The quest for his power was for good intentions. It just makes you think, how far would you go to save the one you love?

Maybe if I was Anakin, I might have done the same. I can understand why he made the choice that he did. Filled with all the anger and pain, he blamed himself for the loss of his mother. The truth was, all his anger was directed at himself, for his lack of power and inability to save his mother in the past. This time, he had the power. And he wasn't about to let history repeat itself. That's why he turned to the Dark Side.



"Careful you must be when sensing the future, Anakin. The fear of loss is a path to the dark side."
- Jedi Master Yoda


The only difference me and Anakin though, would be that after I discovered Padme died, I would kill off the Emperor and rule the whole Empire myself. There's no more reason to continue serving him anyway.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jayaxe said...

Yes, your afterthoughts are almost the same as what I would ask myself - would I betray my friends and save the woman I like. Very dilemma.

Hey, how come everyone claps when the movie starts? That's what happened when I watched it. Is that supposed to be the tradition or what?!

And trailers + ads lasting 45 minutes? I can very well take a nap first, man. Heh.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

the part I found funniest was when Yoda just waved his hand and the 2 kar-kias of Sidious just fell to the ground.. hee hee

8:24 AM  
Blogger None said...

Anakin did it all for love.

"The fear of loss is a path to the dark side"
- is a very good quote from Yoda too.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Claris said...

wow so sounds so happening! is there any riotting in there?

11:19 PM  
Blogger Zen|th said...

Jayaxe: Everybody's probably clapping because the trilogy is finally complete.

Woof: Yeah.. That was totally hiliarious.

Ah 9: That's what people are willing to do for love.

Melissa: I love the theaters too. It's only the free seating I don't like. I like everything else. I wanted to do that too, but we didn't have time to watch other movies as well. Haha.

Claris: Nah. There isn't any riotting going on. At least I haven't seen one yet.

3:38 AM  
Blogger Ang Ku Kueh said...

Er....If you think that the movie seemed too fast, might it be because you've not watched Star Wars: Clone Wars? It's cartoon animation rather like Matrix Reloaded. However, they are only showing this on Cartoon network in S'pore. supposed to make the Revenge of the Sith more understandable. I haven't watched the movie but was anakin tatooed all over? He got it during the animation...

9:16 PM  
Blogger jeffyen said...

I think besides his love for Padme, I think it's just an 'excuse' in the bigger picture. The real reason for going over to the Dark Side is because he wants more.

ANAKIN: Something's happening . . . I'm not the Jedi I should be. I am one of the most powerful Jedi, but I'm not satisfied ... I want more, and I know I shouldn't.

PADME: You expect too much of yourself.

ANAKIN: I have found a way to save you.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Zen|th said...

ang ku kueh: I didn't know there was Star Wars: Clone Wars. Anakin wasn't tatooed at all in the movie though.

Jeffrey: I feel that it was a combination of both. His lack of power to save his mother in the past started him on his quest for power. Darth Sidious then used his big fear of loss and lust for power to entice him to the dark side.

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home