Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Middle Of The Week

School's going to be ending soon. Right now, I've only got my Final Year Project Report which is due next Monday. In between now and then, I've got a demo and a test tomorrow. After that only 1 more exam and then it's finally over.

How's my report coming along? Well, I haven't done much. Motivation is eluding me as always. Currently I'm in the library trying to get the report started but what the heck, I'll start it tonight when I get home.

Nothing much has been going on these past 2 days, been lazing around playing Winning Eleven 8 and Football Manager 2005.

I just noticed something about Blogger's new commenting system. For those of you who have left comments, you'll notice that when you want to leave a comment, a pop-up window will appear.

At first I enabled that function because I thought that it would making commenting easier, but realised that it's still that same. I thought that it would be like Haloscan where posting a comment could be done in 2 mouseclicks but it turns out, posting a comment still takes 3 mouse clicks.

1) Click on the comments link.
2) Shown the entry and all the comments, click on post a comment link.
3) Pop up window showing the entry and all comments, type and publish comment.

It's obvious the 2nd mouseclick is redundant, since in the pop-up window the summary of the comments and the entry are already shown. In my Interface Design class, the easier the users get to want they want, the better. Anything that takes more than 3 mouseclicks to find, most people get turned off and go to another site.

Maybe I should switch to Haloscan.


Update: ball.of.yarn has just alerted me to the fact that clicking on the "Post Comment" link also takes 2 mouse clicks instead of 3. Something which I overlooked due to the habit of clicking on the "X Comments" link instead. My bad. So instead I pose the question, what's the use of the "X Comments" link if clicking on the "Post Comments" link does the same? They should merge the 2 like Haloscan does.

7 Comments:

Blogger Claris said...

you should switch! coz i've nv seen haloscan fails on us... tagboard is alwiz failing...

wah, u even bother to apply the 3 click rule you learnt in school. Steady lah.

12:53 AM  
Blogger Lam's Creation said...

*sigh* ... so sad ... few more days and all you cool dudes will be leaving ngee ann ... *sob* :~(

9:40 AM  
Blogger Jayaxe said...

Eh, Haloscan not very user friendly too, dude. If you noticed, you might have problems opening the Haloscan commentary box unless you refresh the blog page.

Hey, you still need like 3 clicks to comment! That's why I didn't bother switching to Haloscan.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Ellipsis said...

3 clicks? Shouldn't it be 2? This comment took 2 by following the "post comment" link instead of the "3 comments" (at time of reading) link.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Laughingcow said...

Precisely. I don't even know why Blogger decided to do pop-ups if it doesn't make things simpler. Maybe just to show that they could. :p

5:29 PM  
Blogger Zen|th said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Zen|th said...

Claris: No la. Just trying to make things easier for everyone. Haha.

lam's creation: Yeah, it's sad having to leave all of my friends and trade everything for the working world.

Jayaxe: Really? Hmm.. I always left comments easily on Haloscan.

ball of yarn: Hmm.. That's true. I didn't really notice the "post comment" link because I've been so used to clicking on the other comment link. It's hard to change a habit i guess.

laughingcow: They're just trying to copy haloscan without being too obvious.

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home