Saturday, July 23, 2005

Would You Like Some Coffee?

I've worked 4 times at my current part time job as a banquet waiter. It's been alright so far, but the crappy thing is that each time I work, I'm assigned to a different place. So every time I work, it feels like my first day on the job because I have to get used to a different kind of environment and learn a different way of serving the guests.

The first time I worked at a Chinese dinner. My second time, I worked on a meeting floor where we had to serve the food to each seated guest on the table. The third time, I worked at a lunch buffet where it was pretty simple. All we had to do was clearing and then fixing up the room after that. On Thursday, I worked at another meeting floor where all the refreshments were outside the meeting room and we had to make coffee for the guests upon request.

I made some mistakes each time but not too serious ones. I'm learning something new each time. One time, I didn't really know how to operate the coffee machine and when there was a slight malfunction, I didn't know what to do. Then the guest started to do everything by herself as I helplessly looked on. My captain then saw everything and came to help but I got a small scolding later on.

I've learned to carry the big oval tray as well. I was a bit afraid to carry it at first, because I've heard of stories where other waiters have dropped it and had their pay docked. Although I didn't fall, I did have a backache when I woke up the next morning.

The people I've worked with have been nice enough to help and guide me as well. Some people will just answer you with a "dunno" whenever you ask them something. The aunties are pretty good to work with as well. They seem to know everything like the back of their hand. It's just that sometimes they get very fussy over the small details and end up having to do unnecessary work. Like my captain said, "This job no need nice nice... I want fast fast."

Another thing I've learned is that common sense isn't so common after all. Sometimes when you thinking you're working fast enough, you'll see someone else doing in another, faster way. I thought that moving 6 or 7 chairs at one go was tough, until I saw a China guy moving 12 chairs. I thought that it was tough rolling 1 table, until I saw another China guy moving 2 tables at the same time, 1 hand controlling each table. Some of these guys are just amazing.

Looks like I've still got a lot to learn. But in the meantime, I'll rest my aching feet.

7 Comments:

Blogger Zhe Bin said...

i had the tendency too, when i first worked at this restaurant, to make sure everything was done proper and nice.. until the actions of my more senior colleagues proved that "This job no need nice nice... I want fast fast."

10:08 AM  
Blogger Jayaxe said...

Woah, didn't realize that being a waiter is so tough! I guess every job has its difficulties.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

the big oval tray. See already also scared. :)

10:35 PM  
Blogger Jankliciouz said...

haha... being a waiter is damn tough.. but being a banquet waiter is tougher! Last time i wanted to work as a banquet waiter too. But after i heard how tiring it could be, I lost interest. Haha.

xoxo Jank

2:50 PM  
Blogger Ang Ku Kueh said...

i think it's always great to be challenged at any event, although it might not be a good feeling to be apprehensive. however, it'll definitely make u grow...okok, i know i'm cliched..

9:03 PM  
Blogger MyOrangeSweater said...

So do you now have biceps of steel, from carrying those oval trays filled with plates of food?

8:35 PM  
Blogger Zen|th said...

Zhe Bin: Yah. The earlier you finish your job, the better for everyone.

Jayaxe: I didn't think it would be this difficult too.

LancerLord: That was exactly my first reaction too.

Mangolicious: Haha. Did she receive a complaint or anything?

Jank: It's pretty tiring but after you get used to it, it's not so bad.

Mr Moron: That's another reason I kind of like this job. It's teaching me some common sense. Haha.

Ang Ku Kueh: That's true. I'm learning a lot of things now and I like that.

Lynne: Haha. I don't think so. Maybe if i continue working longer I'll have it.

2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home