Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The Egoistic Schadenfreudian

I was taking the bus with my friend Ego yesterday when we saw an obvious act of racial discrimination.

On one of the stops as the bus was about to leave, we saw 2 Chinese aunties around 10 meters away running, trying to catch the bus. I thought the bus driver was going to leave them but he waited patiently until the aunties were able board the bus. I thought to myself, "What a kind bus captain."

Later on, we approached a bus stop that was one those that buses usually skip because most of the time hardly anyone alights or flags for the bus. This time however, there was an Indian man that flagged for the bus. Perhaps he was a construction worker because he didn't look local. I was anticipating the bus to slow down; instead the bus driver maintained his speed and simply skipped the stop.

Instantly, Ego and I looked and each other and he said, "Wah, that one racial discrimination right?"

I replied, "That was so obvious."

"Wah lau, the driver racist sia. The bangala fella poor thing. Now must wait long long for the next bus. Hahahahaha."

"Eh, don't laugh la. You're damn evil you know. But then again... that was quite funny. Hahahahaha."

Ego's an evil guy. He likes to take pleasure in other people's misfortunes and occaisionally he even has a hand in it. But when you're with him, for some reason, you can't help but laugh along.

I was working with him on Saturday at a banquet dinner and I was about to clear away some plates to the kitchen when suddenly he came to me and said with the usual look of glee, "Eh, one of our tables got spillage. Faster see."

I looked and saw a slight commotion going on at one of our tables. The guest was wiping herself with a napkin, but didn't seem too bothered. 2 of the other waiters I was working with were trying to clear the mess with napkins.

I said, "Wah, first time I see a spillage. You spill one is it?"

"No la, not me. One of the first timers did it. Haha."

"Poor guy. What a sucky to experience your first day at work."

"You know, the guest asked me whether the beverage spilt was Sprite or water. I told her it was water even though it was Sprite. Hahahahahaha."

".... Hahahahaha."


Dang it. I'm slowing turning into a Schadenfreudian too.

8 Comments:

Blogger MyOrangeSweater said...

Poor Indian worker, the bus driver was mean. Not that he was driving his car that the Indian is getting on, anyway wat?!

8:52 PM  
Blogger Jayaxe said...

Dammit, now that reminds me of the time when a bus driver who looks Chinese and skipped my stop even though I flagged for his bus. And I certainly don't even look anywhere near tanned!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Claris said...

imagine spill red wine, guess ask, is tt blood or red wine on my shirt.. -.-" if im nt wrong, red wine can only be removed with dry cleaning right?

10:52 PM  
Blogger Zen|th said...

Mr Moron: Yeah. I felt bad for him. But I guess everyone has to go through something like that.

Lynne: If the driver could go out of his way to wait 10 seconds for the 2 aunties to board the bus, I don't know why he couldn't do something that he was clearly being paid for.

Jayaxe: Maybe the driver didn't like your face. Hahahahaha. =P

Claris: I wonder how the guest would have reacted if you said blood. LoL~ I know red wine is very hard to remove but I don't know if it can only be removed with dry cleaning. Perhaps.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Ellipsis said...

your second account reminds me of the time a friend in Secondary school came over to my bench and squirted some liquid on me, before yelling "hydrochloric acid!". I was quite worked up into a frenzy of hand-washing then. but it turned out to be only H20.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Zen|th said...

Ball.Of.Yarn: I always thought that the Hydrochloric acid in school was dangerous, but when I touched it nothing happened.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Ang Ku Kueh said...

i got spilled upon too, but since thewaitress look ready to faint, i din tell on her....i can be nice on occassion, heheh....

10:35 PM  
Blogger Zen|th said...

Ang Ku Kueh: If only we had more understanding guests like you. =)

1:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home