Sunday, September 19, 2004

There's Gotta Be More To Life

I feel so bored right and when I'm bored, the best thing to do is blog. Haha. My programing walkthrough went alright on Saturday. I'm not too sure I'll pass but hey, it's useless thinking of things that have already passed and out of our control, so I'll just forget it for now. Once again thanks to all those who helped me and were concerned to ask! =)

I was reading Xiaxue's blog and her latest entry is about her days in secondary and when everything was all about the word, study. She goes on to say,

"Isn't it so very sad? My value as a person, only judged by a piece of paper. A very average piece of paper, may I add. An average piece of paper which I have not even bothered to collect from SP after my graduation."

That is so true especially are in Singapore where so much emphasis is put in education.

I wasn't a top student in school, just your average student with average grades. I'd take football compared to studying any day. Besides, I've never really put much effort into studying because:

1) I don't like studying.

2)I've always believed there's much more to life than getting that piece of paper with your name it.

If happiness in life was all about one piece of paper, life wouldn't hold much worth wouldn't it? And it would be as boring as my A Maths class. If you think of it, life is so, so, so much more. Precious memories, unforgettable moments, and all the people around who mean something to you and bring meaning to your life. Life isn't all about getting qualifications, it's about the memories, experiences that you gain along the journey of life.

Of course qualifications are important because it'll bring food to your table in the future but what I'm saying is that if you fail a test or get a C for a paper, it isn't the end of the world. I've always looked at it this way:

At the end of the day, whether you failed or not, you still have 2 arms, 2 legs, your friends, your loved ones and you're still you. Has anything changed? Letting a piece of paper define your value as a person is so sad.

Besides, even if you get straight As, it doesn't gurantee happiness. Back when I was in secondary school, the top student of my school cried when she got back her O level results. Those weren't tears of joy though. She cried because she got an A2 for one subject, meaning that she didn't get A1s for all her subjects. I mean, WHAT THE HECK? You got 7 A1s and an A2 and you're crying?!

Ah.. The things that people do to inflict misery upon themselves. It's kind of stupid if you ask me. See what I mean, even if you do get all A1s, you can still be unhappy. At the end of the day, even though you didn't get the grade that you wanted, you can still smile and be happy. Because it isn't the end of the world, and life still goes on. So which shall you choose? The choice is yours and yours entirely. =)

1 Comments:

Blogger Zen|th said...

I agree, that's fair enough. Haha. Still, no matter what, life goes on. =)

5:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home