Friday, December 16, 2005

Puff Puff

I had just gotten on the MRT on the way to work today when I heard a little boy's voice say in Mandarin:


"People who smoke are stupid."


I turned and saw him seated on his mother's lap. He continued:


"People who smoke are bad."


Then his mother smiled and patted his head in approval.

I shook my head when I heard that. Come on. If you want to teach your child not to smoke, don't put such false statements into his head. You're only teaching him to discrimate against smokers. Firstly, are all people who smoke stupid?

I've got friends who smoke (like everybody else) and in no way are they stupid or lacking in intelligence at all. A friend of mine reasoned, "Either way, by the age of 40 you're going to get some disease or some other cancer, so might as well smoke now and enjoy."

Of course I don't diagree with that statement, but my point is that it definitely doesn't show a lack of intelligence.

Secondly smoking doesn't automatically make you a bad person. While smoking is normally associated with people who are bad, not all people who do it are like that. I have to admit though, that when I was younger had I had that mentality. It wasn't that my parents told me that people who smoke are bad, they just told me that smoking is bad. So then I made the association that since smoking is bad, people who smoke must be bad because only bad people do bad things.

But as I grew up and some of my friends picked up smoking, I came to realise that smoking didn't change them or make them bad at all. In fact, cigarette breaks become times of bonding between friends, something my friend in NS told me and I saw for myself while working as a banquet waiter. I even joined in at times. (Not smoking of course, just sitting and chatting around.)



"No one wants to be my friend because I smoke."


So parents, please don't teach your children to discriminate against smokers. If you think of it, such reasoning used in statements like that are the same ones used by racists.


Wikipedia Topic Of The Day: Nicotine

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

la la la.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Zhe Bin said...

I agree like totally. Which smoker was borned one? I must say the mum probably taught him that vaginas have teeth so that he won't have pre-maritial sex.

7:51 AM  
Blogger lyn said...

*shakes head*

it's like the extreme evangelical christians and the extreme atheists. we do not agree with both groups even though their beliefs are possibly the opposite of each other.

either way extremes are not really that great.

11:16 AM  
Blogger None said...

the little boy's mother is the culprit. :P

3:13 PM  
Blogger Zen|th said...

Tammy: La la la la la?

Zhe Bin: Hahaha. That's something I haven't heard in a long time. The last time I heard something about vaginas having teeth was in South Park.

Mr Moron: Yep, discrimination is much much worse than smoking.

Lyn: I agree. Extremist always tend to blow everything out of proportion.

Ah 9: Exactly. Perhaps she just isn't that intelligent.

5:34 PM  
Blogger h3lix said...

SMOKERS ARE IDIOT? HAR!

Why smokers are smart

"Health is a posion. Thats why i smoke"

PFFffft.

Why smoker find it hard to quit?

"My parents taught me never to be a quitter"

Why smokers are friendly

"With a cig in hand, you can make many friends"
(Doesn't that rhymes)

Why smokers bonds

"Because of idiots like the little kid who discriminate us"

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's totally unbiased to say that smokers are inconsiderate and have fallacies in their arguments.

Everything else being equal, your chances of getting cancer increase when you smoke. If you are already cancer prone, smoking increases your risk. Smoking increases others' risk. Even when they move away to smoke, they still pollute the environment. There's already so much fumes in the air, why add to the pollution?

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home