Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Listening While Eating

During lunch hour on the days I work, I always go for lunch alone. It's not that I'm anti-social or anything, it's just most of our lunchtimes are different the rest of my colleagues are mostly old "aunties", so I'm not really on the same wavelength as the rest of them. Besides, I don't mind eating alone either.

So the problem is always deciding where to eat. On somedays I can't decide whether to eat at the food court or eat fast food. Usually I end up picking the location with the least people because like I said before, I hate crowded places, and also because finding a seat when you're alone can be pretty hard. I used to snigger at those people walking around, holding their food while looking for a seat, so of course I don't want to be doing the same thing.

I know that some people just cannot eat by themselves but eating alone is not so bad as many people think. As you take your meal you can eat at your own pace, day dream, take a break from interacting with people, look at pretty ladies people-watch and even listen to other people's conversations.

Alright, I know eavesdropping is not good, but when you're just a table or a seat away and someone is trying to talk above the bustling noise, you really can't help but overhear everything.

People talk about lots of things over lunch. Everything from what happened 20 years to what they're going to be doing this Christmas. But among all, the number one topic I always hear people talk about over lunch is... complaining about other colleagues.

Really, sometimes that's all anyone seems to talk about. Hmm.. Perhaps I might be a bit biased or inaccurate here because it's mostly women at the table whenever I hear this topic being talked about. Perhaps it's because men get the task done and quickly move on while the women like to converse more while eating.

It's interesting to see how they can keep a nice and friendly face in front of the person they dislike but once that particular person is gone, they change completely and all the bitchy comments start coming out. There have been 1 or 2 times when I've intentionally eaten slower just to listen more to the juciest piece of gossip. Some of the stories even typical drama elements like betrayal and vengence.

But overall, I find it really funny how grown men and women can behave like children at times through the things they say. All that badmouthing... Some of it's just really childish.

So be careful what you talk about over lunch. You never know who's listening. Or just don't talk so loudly.


Wikipedia Topic Of The Day: Beer Hall Putsch

10 Comments:

Blogger Laughingcow said...

Yeah, I notice that too, even during my holiday temp jobs, that all my colleagues talk about are other colleagues. Oh, and of clients. Well, but here I am talking about them, so. :D Shh.

4:14 AM  
Blogger None said...

i eat alone most of the time too...bloody crowds! haaa

11:28 AM  
Blogger MyOrangeSweater said...

Thank goodness I usually eat lunch alone too ... and always at my own desk, so that I can read or surf at the same time. Yeah, for most people, lunchtime is gossip time! (Un)Fortunately, that's what I will be doing today - lunch + gossip!

9:31 PM  
Blogger Jayaxe said...

Yes, I wouldn't mind eating alone but finding a seat is so difficult if you work in office areas!

I prefer the takeaway culture I experienced in Beijing. Company expenses and no need to fret what to eat, though may easily get sick of the same kind of food.

11:56 PM  
Blogger Zen|th said...

Laughingcow: I guess it's alright to talk about other people just as long as we don't badmouth them.

Ah9: Those crowds are damn irritating, so I try to eat my lunch break as late as I can.

Lynne: Hahaha. That's pretty cool, eating at your desk where you can read and surf at the same time. Too bad I don't have a desk. =(

Jayaxe: Yeah.. I thought of doing takeaways, but then with the amount of time I spend at work, I want to get away from that place whenever I can. Hahaha.

1:37 AM  
Blogger lyn said...

well for me eating alone is easier for me as you can just plonk yourself on those high seats designed for the lone eater.

but i guess i've been lucky so far cos most of the time i'll take-away my food back home/hostel so the incidence of eating alone outside (and usually at off-peak hours) is rather low. lol.

gossip is what fuels the human conversation most of the time. but i cut back on that ever since the bible cautioned us against that. =S

10:54 AM  
Blogger KwokSiong said...

i hate eating meals outside alone! the feeling sucks big time!

12:29 AM  
Blogger Vera said...

hahaha! when i was stil working.. we would bitch about Dick.. hehehe

4:56 AM  
Blogger Zen|th said...

Lyn: I've sat on those high seats too. But sometimes even those are occupied.

Kwoksiong: Hahaha. For me, I find it quite enjoyable at times.

Fat Fingers: If I had a boss like Dick, I guess that couldn't be helped. LoL~

9:12 PM  
Blogger Ang Ku Kueh said...

i cant eat by myself at all in a crowded place...i actually admire the ppl who do..

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home